Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Flooring Frustrations

Flooring can dramatically change the look of your home. It's not an easy project, however! We recently changed the flooring in our home which took alot of time, energy and patience! Our goal was to reuse what was already there in order to save money and resources. Here's what we started with:

The dirty old carpet needed to go, along with the nasty carpet padding. Now, a normal person would probably just lay new carpet down and be done with it. Because this house is as old as it is, there was a strong likelihood that there was hardwood underneath the many layers. So I began to dig:

Eureka! Under 5 layers....YES FIVE, I found wood floors! Unfortunately, it wasn't hardwood, but the subfloor. No worries! Because this house may be used as a rental in the near future and because of my husband's many allergies, I decided to go ahead and work with the subfloors instead of install carpet. Carpet can be costly to replace every time a tenant moves out. I also decided to paint the floors instead of stain them because the wood didn't look very good. The color I chose was City Loft by Sherwin Williams. Take a look at how clean and nice these floors look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have seen these floors in person - the funny thing is - I didn't even realize that they weren't hardwood floors until reading this blog. Very well done and a great idea.